Saturday, May 17, 2008

June 20, 2006 my husband was in a horrid car accident in which he sustained a head injury. With the injuries he suffered from the accident, the doctors told me that they didn’t know how his vision would be affected when he come out of the coma. Whenever they opened his eye lids to check on his eyes, the right eye was always rolled up almost into his head. On the left side, he had suffered many facial fractures. No one knew the true extent of his injuries and could therefore not tell us if his eyesight was affected at all.

When I had chosen to have lasik surgery a few years early to correct my nearsightedness, Randy had confided in me that he probably could not undergo something like that because one of his biggest fears was losing his sight. Here he was now, lying helplessly in a hospital bed and through no choice of his own, he might have to live through one of his worst fears.

As Randy began coming out of his coma, it was evident that he did have some sight. We knew that he could see movement, but weren’t sure as to what extent he could see. As one of the therapists began working with him, testing his cognitive skills, she asked him to point to the word on the paper that matched the word she was going to say. She gave her word, but instead of pointing to the word on the paper, Randy said another words. The therapist tried again. She stated the same word again and then asked Randy to point to it on the paper she was holding. Randy repeated the same words he had said the first time. I looked at him and then tried to follow his gaze. At the end of his gaze was the word he had been saying, written on a different part of the paper the therapist was using for the therapy session. Randy could not only see, but he could read!

Excitement quickly turned into disappointment, though. Randy did not have to live through his worst fear of losing his sight, but, through the trauma he had suffered, a nerve was damaged. The damage done to this nerve caused his two eyes, who were created to work together to produce one image together, now worked on their own, producing two images.

I sent to word to everyone I could reach, asking them to pray for Randy's eyesight. I began to pray. My prayers started out simply enough "Please heal his eyes." As no healing came, no answers came, my prayers got a little deeps, "Jesus, you are the healer. Please heal Randy's eyesight." Still nothing.... I need a bit more profoundness about them."Jesus, you are the healer. You have the power to touch Randy's eyes and heal them. Please heal them."

His response back was "It's not time. Lessons have not been learned yet." Lessons? Okay, God, could you just spit them out for me? I tend to be a bit dense. Let me know what we need to be learning here and then could you please heal his eyes?"

"Heal his eyes.... how?.... to do what?"

I suppose God isn't going to give me the easy road here. How about this prayer "Lord, you created our two eyes to function in such a way to send messages to the brain and produce images of one. They work together separately to produce one, to be one. Please strengthen them, heal them separately so that they can come together and be one as you created."

Wow! That came out of my heart?!I felt my heart begin to working, but didn't quite know on what yet.

Then I went into the operating room with Randy. Even though one of his worst fears is losing his sight, he made the decision to go through a surgical procedure to try to help his eyes begin to work together. I watched and held his hand has they went into his eye and pulled on and weakened the muscles to move around the eye. He went through a lot of pain having that done. Deep disappointment was felt as the eyesight wasn't immediately corrected. Two images of everything still existed.

I was heartbroken for him not being able to fuse his vision. However, the lesson in me had already been started and it was making profound imprints upon my heart.

In marriage, you go into it as two people with two purposes. With love, respect and devotion the marriage unit is strengthed and begins to work separately towards the same purpose. They work together to become one. There are bumps and earth shattering stops that happen a long the way. Sometimes those events cause us to break our connection. We begin working separately, trying to go in our own direction, or thinking that we are the better of the two and we can do this all on our down. What comes out of it is two separate visions, no unity.

That is where we were at in our marriage. I knew what was best. He disagreed and thought for sure I was in the wrong. If only he could admit how wrong he was, we could back to being happy. Two visions. Two individuals doing things their way and knowing their way was best. Two individuals who were miserable.

I gave God my husband's eye sight. "Lord, if it is your will, please provide healing to Randy's eyes. Please heal what needs to be healed in order for them to begin working together again in the way that you created them to be. Your plan is perfect. Dissention from it causes things to cease working in the way they should. It causes pain and heartbreaking. Please restore things to the way that you had created them to be."

I turned our marriage over to God for healing. I wanted Him to return it to how He had created it to be. His design was so perfect, though it was hard to follow with my pride getting in the way so often. The more that I let go, though, the more that the two eyes can work together to see one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't notice any recent updates. How is Randy doing today? My brother was in a terrible motorcycle accident on 9-4-09 He is in rehab. I would like some information in TBI recovery.

Anonymous said...

I'll check back and see if there is an answer.

Randy Rush said...

Anonymous,
Using this blog as a communication tool ran it's course as I continued in my recovery, returned to work and reintegrated into society. I was blessed with an amazing recovery. There are subtle differences my family and closer friends can see but otherwise I am nothing less than a disabled man with a noticeable limp. I hope you read this response and am willing to provide any information or answer any questions you might have. How is your brother?