Sunday, April 29, 2007

Funny Story

I just had to share this story ~ last night, Randy and I were lying in bed reading and our two dogs were laying at our feet. Randy put his book down and went in the other room to grab something. He then went over to our sliding glass door and opened it. I then heard him whistle and call the dogs to come in. Both dogs looked up at me like "what is he doing"?He had let them in from outside about 10 or so minutes earlier. I just shrugged my shoulders, and they both jumped off the bed and ran in to him. When he heard their feet pitter pattering on our hard wood floor, he just started to laugh. The funny thing is that this is an almost nightly occurrence around our house lately. The dogs can be right at his feet and he will go over to the door to let them in. I love that he can laugh at himself and he doesn't get mad that I laugh at him!

Today, we had a good day. Randy didn't sleep well at all last night. He has tremors and quite often they keep him awake. I think he finally went to bed around 5 am this morning. I didn't sleep that well because he wasn't in there. So when the alarm went off for us to get up for church, neither of us could get up. I had thought that Cass would come encourage us to get up, but she wasn't up either. She normally gets up early on the weekends, but yesterday, she had gone to Portland with a friend of hers and hadn't gotten home till after 10 pm. So we were all exhausted and almost didn't get up time to get to church. We missed most of the singing, but we made it!

After church, Cass went and hung out with her friend while Randy and I went to a barbecue that was put on my the leaders of the brain injury support group that we like to attend. We haven't been to that group in the last two months. I didn't realize how much I missed being around some of those people until today. It was a beautiful day for a barbecue! It was held at the group leaders house. Their backyard is at a slope, but they made it into a little park area. It even has a stream that comes down the slope into a little pond with fish in it. They have a stone at the base that says "Kent's park" (Kent is the group leader that has the head injury). Randy had a little trouble walking around because of the unevenness of the ground. It served as a good reminder that, even though he has improved so much in his walking, we really should carry around the cane for those "just in case" situations like today.

No comments: