Sunday, July 30, 2006

Another Amazing Day

I was a little worried that what we had yesterday would be gone today because it has been such an up and down road up to this point, but once Randy woke up today, he was just as with it as he was yesterday. It was so great. Being there today, I feel like I am getting to hang out with him because he is responsive and interactive. I love it.

One of the doctors on his team came in to see him today and he said he thought Randy was just about there for the full on acute rehab, meaning he gets to stay at Harborview and not have to go to the nursing facility. We would love that. Both he and the nurse said they would try to get the therapists in there tomorrow to test him to see if he is ready.

Today, they stood him up for the first time. He had to go to the bathroom and he refused to go in the diaper thing. I kept trying to do what I did yesterday and tell him he could just go and then tell me and I would get the nurse to clean him, but he was having none of it. So his nurse today got a comode and stood him up a bit to let him go. Randy was so happy. The nurse said Randy was not able to bear weight on his left leg, but he did okay other than that.

Randy had a few visitors today. He loved it! Even after people left, he kept saying how good it was to see them.

Tonight, I was at the hospital late. Randy just doesn't want to be left alone. I tried to wait until he fell asleep but he kept fighting it. Earlier in the night, then his night nurse came in to do her assesment, she asked Randy how he was doing and he said he felt connected today. Well, tonight when I asked him why he was not wanting to go to sleep he said he didn't want to lose the ability to connect. He said "I have some fears" but he wouldn't go beyond that. It was so hard to leave him.

1 comment:

The Young Family said...

Rachel,

You don't me but my husband was at Harborview when Randy first came in I believe. My husband is Derrick Young who had a stroke (at age 33) on June 24th. I would like to give you some words of encouragement and tell you to keep standing strong in your faith. All things are possible through Jesus Christ. Keep speaking words of life into Randy. Words of faith, Speaking to Randy: You are unmovable unshakable always abounding in the word. What scripture kept helping me was Though a 1,000 may fall at my right and 10,000 may fall to my left no evil will come near me. I am paraphrasing. But you are and having been looking at a very scary situation, however God is bigger than the situation. No evil will come near you... over and over I would say that over Derrick. I walk by faith not by sight. Derrick was paralyzed on his left side so I understand the fears going through you and Randy... as much as I can... Our sight in the hospital was horrible. Derrick couldn't move his left side and when he did move it - he could at first barely move a finger.... but I held strong that my faith was stronger than my sight. I know a scripture that I have always lived by, is if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you can tell the mountain to move, and it will. (again I am paraphrasing) I have meditated on that scripture, for hours and days... and I just kept repeating in my head I do have faith the size of a mustard seed, infact my faith is as big as the hospital! Don't let a Dr's report keep you down. God is your physician, not a human. We heard it all when we were there from he may not come out the coma - to he will probably never walk again.... - hold strong. Get your rest, so you can stay strong for Randy. when you walk into his room, keep speaking words of life to him. Surround yourself with people that can speak into you, and you inturn into Randy. If you need to talk or want someone to vent to - I have been through a trauma and now understand how hard hospitals can be, so please feel free email me and I will get you my phone number. Email: emily_young73@hotmail.com my blog is www.hoboyoung.blogspot.com

Please know that you have my faith with yours. All Things Are possible Full recovery. I saw a miracle literally happen before my eyes, (my husband after 13 days in the hospital was healed by God and walked out of the hospital -- earlier in that day he could not lift his arm up by himself, nor walk with out assistance - - the Dr's and physical therapist had no explanation other than a miracle ) and I know that God is ready to perform miracle after miracle, it is what he does, He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

With you in Faith,
Emily Young