Saturday, July 15, 2006

Our Day

Randy had a good day today. The nurse said that before we got there, Randy was very alert. He said that Randy followed commands for moving his right arm and leg. He also was able to tell the nurse his first name ~ so now I am not the only one that has heard him say it! He slept most of the morning, but we found out later it was because they had given him oxycodon around 9 am ~ we had stepped out so they could give him a bath and I guess they gave it to him then. When we are there, we don't let them give it to him. I think too often they overmedicate people there.

When Randy finally woke up this afternoon, though, he was responding very well. His dad told him to say "I hope to shout" and he repeated it very clearly. He also started sitting straight up on his own. He would be lying flat in bed and then he would get a hold of the railing and sit straight up for just a moment then he would run out of energy and lie back down. He was also getting his right leg off the bed and he was able to pull himself over, so I think he could easily fall out of bed at this point. When we left, the nurse had to restrain both his arm and his leg on his right side. I think he is ready to get out of there!

On the way out tonight, the head nurse stopped us to ask about facilities again. He is scheduling a meeting this Tuesday for us to meet (by us, I think he is referring to the head nurses and the family) to discuss getting him off of restraints. I find it funny that this was brought up on the day that he started becoming so active we had to restrain him more. But we are going to go ahead and meet with them to listen to what they have to say. He mentioned there are alternatives to restraints such as lower beds, but lowering the bed isn't going to prevent him from falling out of it! Another "alternative" he mentioned was supervision by the family, but then wouldn't we be acting as the restraints? So... we will see how the meeting goes. Now that we have visited a rehab place, I am feeling very positive about Randy ending up there and I am ready for him to go and start that faze (he would get more rehab in the facility than he does now because they rarely work with him right now), but I don't see how he can be safe right now without restraints.

We shall see how things go over the next couple of days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Randy- It has been a long time. I will be sure to pass along news of Randy to our church community. Let me know if I can do anything at all. We are on the Eastside, and can do whatever you need.