Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Another Great Day!

We had another wonderful day today!

I went to work again today and it still was very hard to be away, but I know I need to do it ~ even though I get 12 weeks off from work, I only get paid for as much vacation and sick time I have and once that runs out, the rest will be unpaid. So I am trying to get in as much as I can.

Randy's mom and sister, and our dauther Cassandra went in to hang out with him this morning. When they got there, he was sitting out in the hall in his chair. One of the doctors and one of the nurses told us later that Randy had tried to talk them into getting his glove off. They said he asked so nicely! When I got in, he tried to ask me to take it off, but I wouldn't. He just sighed and said "You're not too helpful".

Randy was very polite throughout the day. He said "Thank you" to everyone, when he burped he said "excuse me" and when he elbowed me and I said "ow" he said "sorry".

We tried to ask him questions throughout the day to keep his mind working. I ask him regularly what his name is. Today, I started asking him to spell his name. The first time, I asked "How do you spell that" and he responded with "With a Y". And I asked "Do you spell that with an R?" and he said "Only when necessary". Later, I tried again and asked him to spell Randy. He looked so puzzled, so I started out for him. I said "R" and he quickly said "a", but then he paused again so I said "N" and he quickly said "D" and I finished with the "Y".

His mom asked him how many cats we have and he responded correctly ~ we have two. She asked what he calls him or what their names were and he responded "I don't know what you consider them". She also asked him how many dogs we have, but he didn't answer that one (we have 3 and they tend to drive him crazy!).

I asked him some of the questions I heard the speech therapist ask. One was "Do you cut grass with a spoon". When the therapist asked yesterday, he responded "yes", but today he said "No, not with a spoon".

I also asked him "Y equals m x plus what" and he responded "b". (that would be algebra equation that he went over with my daughter a year or so ago when he was doing homework and she was curious about it).

Also, tonight when I was feeding him, I gave him some coffee and after he tried some I asked if it was gross. He responded "Not completely gross".

Then, a little before we left, I wrote down one of our dogs names on a piece of paper and asked him to read it and he did. We then decided to test it again, so we wrote the name of my daughter's hamster on the other side and he read that too!

It is so great!

1 comment:

Cagle Clan said...

Those are great updates...and what a precious picture!