Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Some updates

For facilities: I called Northwest Hospital and they do not have any skilled nursing beds. They told me the same thing that we are being told here ~ he has to be able to participate in at least 3 hours of rehab before he can be admitted there. I also called Swedish and they said they just closed down their skilled nursing area. I put in a request to the social worker to provide us with a list of facilities that are known to deal with head injury patients. That might help us decided on a place.

Randy has been pretty much the same today as he was yesterday. They did test out his swallowing reflex today. His automatic reflex is working, but he wasn't swallowing on command. He did well with ice chips and he took a couple of sips of water with a straw, but when they gave him applesauce, he spit it out.

That is really the only update so far from today ~ he is making slow progress! We won't get to stay here much longer with him today ~ my daughter is coming back from camp tonight so I have to go pick her up. It is always hard to leave him, especially during his more alert time!

1 comment:

Cagle Clan said...

Rachel, I had hoped to get a chance to chat with you tonight but everytime I looked someone else was talking to you :). I just wanted you to know that I am reading your blog and following along with Randy's progress. He is in my thoughts and prayers. I was wondering if you could use some worship music, would that help? Let me know and I can bring you some on Sunday. Bless you, I will continue to follow along with Randy's progress, let me know if there is anything else I can do.
With you, Jessica Cagle
My e-mail is johnpcagle@aol.com