Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Updates for Today

Not much changed during the remainder of the time that we were at the hospital today. He has short times of being alert and seemingly responding to us then he goes back into just talking and not making much sense and not responding to anyone. He did start this spitting thing today. The nurse tried vacuuming his mouth out, thinking there was perhaps something that was irritating him, but he kept doing it even after that. At one point, his mom said "That's gross" as she went to get another towel to get it off his face and I am almost positive he said "disgusting".

We did have the doctor okay a nicotine patch today. Me not ever being smoker, I didn't even consider that he could be dealing with withdrawals along with everything else he has to deal with.

They also had me sign a consent form today for the feeding tube to be placed in his stomach. They will be doing the procedure tomorrow morning. I know it is a procedure they have done many many times before, but of course, I am still a little worried. I, of course, had to ask what the risks are ~ bleeding, infection where the tube will be, possible aspiration if he gets sick.

I think that is it for the updates today.

2 comments:

HeatherD said...

In prayer for a smooth procedure this morning, and wonderful reunion for Cass and Randy

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

My name is Laura Schultz and I'm a coworker of Randy's. I saw your post a couple of days ago, when you were asking for information about skilled nursing care facilities. A friend of mine had her gram in Bessie Burton, and here's what she e-mailed me:

"we felt very good about Bessie Burton. It had the warmest feeling of any place we visited, and the care was excellent..."

So, it's a different experience than another poster had, but perhaps the 2 experiences were at different times. My friend's gram was there earlier this year, in January-March, I believe.