Sunday, July 16, 2006

We had an amazing day!!

I got to the hospital early afternoon today. I took the morning off while Randy's parents went to hang out with him. I took time to sleep in, went to church and had an excursion at home depot (Randy had started a remodel of our half bath ~ he was going to move the walls out and put in a shower, but had only gotten as far as tearing out the flooring. My wonderfully amazing neighbor and his fabulous son just came in and are doing the project, so I had to go get the flooring that we wanted in there). It was nice to have a small break, but I was definitely ready to see him by the time all my errands were done!

By the time I got to the hospital, Randy was pretty alert. I was told that he did a great job of following commands by the nurse and the nurse practitioner. He told the nurse practitioner his last name. He also started moving his left leg (Yeah!!!). He wiggled his toes on command on the left side and throughout the day he was moving that leg around.

Randy is definitely a man of patterns at this current stage. He will do a few movements over and over again and then move onto something else that he will do over and over again. At one point today, I was lying next to him, just talking to him, and he began leaning over and kissing me then lying back down. He did that over and over for awhile. That pattern I liked! But then he went back to the spitting thing.

Randy showed great improvements with his speech today. When I was lying next to him, I asked him if he knew where he was and he shook his head no. I told him he was at a hospital in Seattle and I asked him if he knew why he was there. He responded with "Tell me why". When I first got there today, I was telling Marsha, Randy's mom, that I had stopped on the way to the hospital and grabbed a cheeseburger and Randy said "I want cheese". There were several times throughout the day that he would say partial sentences. It was so good to hear. My favorite thing he said today, though, was in response to something that a friend had asked him. I don't even remember what she had asked, but Randy responded, clear as day "I recommend the fish".

I really needed today. The last few days, I have been feeling really down, but today has just been amazing. Starting off with the message today from the Associate Pastor that really was exactly what I need to hear today, to coming home and seeing my neighbors work so hard on something that Randy was really wanting done, to having Doug visit and serve as a reminder that there are people out there who have been through what Randy is going through and they made it through this, and our friends who willingly took our daughter for the day to entertain her, and all of those that visited Randy to check on him and us. People have been so amazing through all of this. Times when I start feeling down, people are there to bring me back up through all of the support everyone is giving.

I owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people. I couldn't have been as strong through this as I am if it hadn't been for all of you. Everyone that is praying for Randy and telling others about him so they can pass it on. Everyone that has taken care of my yard! Everyone that has posted comments on the blog (even though I am really bad at responding to some, I do read every single comment, and I read them quite a few times). Everyone that has visited Randy and/or called to check on him. Thank you all so much!

So when I start to feel down, I can remind myself of how many people I have supporting us through this, and of course, I can remember that Randy recommends the fish :-).

3 comments:

HeatherD said...

Rachel - Whooppee!!! Hooray!! Hallelujah!!! It so absolutely fantastic to hear of Randy's progress. Your faithful watching and praying are paying off, as Randy makes daily progress, and as you monitor how much oxycodon and other meds he receives.
His progress is just so awesome, so wonderful. You ARE strong, and you help keep us strong, but we all know where the real Source lies.
I hope Randy likes fish!

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Josh (my brother) sent your blog over to me this morning. I am so sorry to hear about Randy. I know it's been a hundred years since I've seen the two of you, but I want you to know that you and your family will be in my prayers. It seems like yesterday we were all in the carpool going to Westside. It encourages me to know that you have a good support system around you and that you continue to rely on God and His understanding. Living in Los Angeles, I worry everyday about commuting myself (for my husband) and the dangers. Most mornings, I try to remember to pray for our saftey and this is a great reminder that I need to pray for others as well. Please stay encouraged and know that if you need anyone, I'm here.
Holly (Klocke) McGalliard
holly.berry@mac.com

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

I am so happy to hear Randy is being to come back!! I can't thank you enough for keeping us updated on his progress. Randy is a very lucky man to have you.

We are all grateful for doctors, nurses, and hospitals when it comes to caring for us after we've experienced trauma. Without them it would be next to impossible to survive these horrific accidents. But at the same time, Rachel, I think you’re right on. You keep a good eye on them. Question everything! Don’t let them over medicate him. Keep Randy as clean as possible and make sure EVERYONE washes there hands when they enter the room (doctors and nurses especially). It’s not helping Randy’s immune system to be bombarded with toxic substances, cut or x-rayed when it’s not necessary. All drugs are toxic to the body and hospitals are full of diseases. Randy needs his immune system to be as healthy as possible to bring him back. You are doing the right thing when you question them. Your watchful eye is so important.

Remember, we need not only our Heavenly Father (prayer) but also our Earthly Mother to be healthy. Do what you can to see that Randy gets purified water, fresh air, sun, organic natural foods like fresh fruits and vegetables (all that is our Earthly Mother). You want “live” foods to help bring him back to life. (Not over cooked, processed and NO microwave foods). Find out what they are putting in that feeding tube and what your options are for getting him natural foods. Think natural, not artificial or processed. Yes, we thank God to have the doctors to stabilize him, but let’s recognize it is only Randy’s God given immune system (mind, body, & soul) that is going to bring him back to full health.

Rachel, you’re doing a great job. I pray that you keep your strength. Make sure you take just as good care of yourself. You are as important as any other part of Randy’s care, right now. I wish you the best.