Sunday, July 23, 2006

Today



Randy wasn't quite as alert as he was yesterday, but it was still a good day. I missed the morning with him because I went to church. It was hard to be away from him, but I am really glad I went. The paster asked people to give me music they thought would be good for healing, so I got some music to play for him. I also met a couple who have been through this with their son ~ he was in a car accident a couple of years ago. They said he went through some of the same things that Randy is going through, such as the spitting. They have also had experiences with nursing facilities. I look forward to talking to them some more to get the information they have acquired over the last couple of years.

Randy wasn't quite as responsive today as he was yesterday, but he did have his moments. When his friend Brandon was leaving today, Randy was able to say "Brandon" when asked who he was. Later in the evening when it was just he and I, I played a cd I made for him. One of the songs is Grandaddy's "The Nature Anthem". I am sure you have heard it on some commercial. The song just repeats the same lyrics over and over: "I wanna walk up the side of the mountain. I wanna walk down the other side of the mountain. I wanna swim in the river and lie in the sun. I wanna try to be nice to everyone". I leaned down and was singing it into his ear (very quietly because I don't sing on key and didn't want anyone else to hear!) and after a couple of times of the repeat, I asked him to sing with me and he did. He kind of hummed the tune at first, and then he sang along with the last line, but he got a little ahead with the lyrics and he said "everybody" instead of "everyone". But the fact that he was singing and was getting the lyrics almost right before they were sung on the cd just completely amazed me. It was so great.

No comments: