Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Never as expected

Hi everyone, it’s Randy making the post for Rachel today. It is late Wednesday evening as I write this information. Rachel was held at Virginia Mason for the night. The back surgery went incredible well, but she was experiencing pretty extreme motion sickness as a side affect (even when walking to the restroom), so the Virginia Mason team thought it best to keep her admitted for observation. This surgery was supposed to be an outpatient procedure

Rachel, in addition to constantly experiencing debilitating pain prior to the surgery, had lost most of her sensations in her left leg. Almost immediately after “waking up,” Rachel regained sensation and most of her consistent pain vanished. In my opinion, most of the after effects will subside after recovering from the anesthesia.

I really hope this surgery works for her. I’m not an advocate for modern healing methodologies, but I am thankful we live in a time and society where people dedicate their lives and studies to bettering lives of others.

My father, Rachel and I got to spend 14+ hours at Virginia Mason before they had Rachel stay the night.

I did find out that technically I have my license (having no fault in the accident). I won’t drive until my therapist feels it will be safe and I won’t injure another person (as a direct result from some of my deficiencies caused by my accident). I can’t wait until it’s safe to return to driving so I can be a major contributor on days like today. Thankfully, my dad ferried us around to and from Rachel’s appointment. In additional, my mom takes me to most of my many appointments. Driving is around the corner for me though, and something I’ve tagged as my next major milestone in recovery.

Have a great day and Holiday season.

No comments: