Friday, December 29, 2006

Randy's Last Day of Therapy

Randy had his last day of speech therapy today. Vanessa had him show her the plans he had entered into his PDA for all of the assignment she had given him. She asked to see the homework she had given him last time. She had had him start a task sheet with letts and numbers (the one that he had to cross off a specific number on one and then 2 specific letters on the other). She was pleased to see Randy taking out a sheet of paper to help him follow along on the lines. She liked the strategies that he used to complete the task. He rechecked his homework starting with line 2 and figuredout a way to look for the letters he had to find ~ he narrowed the search to just 1 letter at a time, and then would go back and search for the others. When he added them all up at the end, he received a 98% on the task. Vanessa gave him praise for using his compensatory strategies and for figuring out what works best for him.

Vanessa reminded Randy that part of the assignments he was given was to give her 2 phone calls and leave her messages. He actually remembered the days that he needed to do this on. I have been seeing some great improvments in his short term memory! Vanessa said she would be around if he needed to to tune anything ~ he could come in for appointments when he felt he needed to.

Randy's mom had written thank you notes for all of the therapists and had pictures printed of each of them with Randy ~ a very nice parting gift. Randy has also been working in his own thank you notes for them, but didn't finish them in time to hand them out today. We will either drop them by later, or mail them out. Randy did the last two blogs for me since I wasn't here the one day and then wasn't up to the next. He did quite well with writing them. Other times, though, with things such as Thank you Notes or letters to people he wants to write, it takes him longer even to just get started. That too, will come with time.

The rest of the day, Randy hung out with me. He got me out of the house for a short walk ~ I am suppose to be walking 2 to 3 times a day. Most of those consist of walking from one side of the house to the other for the bathroom. On our walk, we took the dogs. It turned out to be a good exercise for both Randy and I. He ended up having to hang on to both of the dogs because the pull on the leash proved too much for my back. Having to hang on to both dogs was a work on Randy's balance and he did excellent.

I am feeling much better than I was Wednesday. The surgery went well. Afterward, though, I woke up in excruciating pain. They gave me some pain medicine that was causing me to fall asleep and then I would forget to breathe, so the nurse had to keep waking me up. Because of the pain level, they decided to admit me. That turned out to be a good idea. When I got up to the room, I was really wanting to go home, but they wouldn't let me go home without walking first. Everytime I tried to even sit up I got sick. I am very glad it is all over. Today, I am still pretty sore where the surgery was at, but for the most part, feeling alright. I still do have numbness in two of my toes, but not as much throughout my leg and the shooting pain I use to feel all down my leg is gone.

No comments: