Thursday, December 21, 2006

Update for last couple of days

Okay, so our home access to the internet was short lived. We only had it for a that short period and then it went out again. Not that we have any room to complain ~ there are many people who still do not have any power. One of my coworkers has been told by the energy company that his area will most likely not get power back on until after the first of the year.

So here is what has been going on with us: Tuesday, I took Randy to his speech therapy. Vanessa had him doing a few different activities, quickly switching between them throughout the session. One was trying to name 25 items in a category that she would give him within a 1 minute timeframe. He did quite well with a couple of the categories, but he still really needs to work on his recall ability. Another activity was to give me clues to try to guess words from a list that he had. He did quite well with his clues. There was only one word I couldn't guess and it was more because of me than him ~ I could picture he object in my head but couldn't come up with the word. Another activity she had for him was to give him three words to remember and then she would work on the other two activities for a bit and then ask him what the three words were. She did this three times throughout the session. The first time, she allowed him to write it down and keep the piece of paper. When asked for the words, he remembered that he had written them down and where, so he was able to give them to her. The second time, after he wrote them down, she had him give me the piece of paper. Amazingly, he was still able to remember the three words. Of those three, there was one that he knew he would have a hard time remembering, so he said he kept that word "close" to him (periodically reminding himself of it) and the other two words fell in place. The third time, Vanessa forgot to have him give me the sheet he wrote them down on, so he easily got those three words as well. At the end of the session, we talked about different activities that Randy can work on at home after this month is over. She recommended online games that are timed and games that require quick recall. So if anyone wants to come over and play pictionary or charades, let me know!

After therapy, we headed to Fred Meyer. Randy had asked to go there the day before to pick up something he had wanted to get his dad. On the way to therapy, I mentioned our plan of going to Fred Meyer and he asked me what we needed there. i refused to tell him. I think it frustrated him a bit, but it was a good reminder of the need to write things down! I was prepared, though, to let him walk down all of the isles until he remembered on his own, but thankfully he remembered before we got to the store.

During the windstorm, the roofing material came off of the rooftop of Cass's playhouse. For those who have not seen the playhouse, it is something that Randy had started building a couple of Summers ago. It still isn't finished ~ Randy loves starting projects, but finishing them has never been his strong point! The playhouse, though, is 2 stories high. Randy has been determined to get up on top of the roof of it and put new material down. I have no doubt that Randy has the capability of doing it, but of course I worry that he might lose his balance and fall and I am, quite frankly, tired of hospitals. I had asked him not to do it and/or wait until his dad is here this weekend to help. He never quite gave me an answer on whether or not he was going to wait. Since it was just he and Cass home on Wednesday, I worried a bit that he might attempt to do it without me around. So as he went out with his friend Brandon, Cass and I hid his ladder (which, mind you is no small feat) and I put the roofing material in my car. He wasn't too happy when he noticed the roofing material gone, but he said he understood. When I got home last night, he took it out of my car. He still hasn't noticed, though, that his ladder is "missing"! Life really is a constant adventure now!

As for me and my back, I went to the doctor recommended by Darcee in one of her comments for a second opinion. He looked at my MRI for all of two seconds and said he has seen enough. He recommended surgery. It made me feel more confident about going through with the surgery. Tomorrow I will go through all of my pre-op stuff and then next Wednesday, I am set for surgery.

No comments: