Thursday, December 21, 2006

Thursday

We have internet access again. Woohoo! Hopefully, we have it back for good.

For updates for today, when I asked Randy what he did today (it was just he and Cass until early afternoon when his mom came back over the pass), he answered with "Well, I did not climb up on a ladder!" Being that we have internet access back, I felt it was necessary to tell him that his ladder was hidden since I figured he would find out by reading the blog. He thought for sure that his dad would be on his side about allowing him to climb up the ladder on top of the playhouse. Unfortunately for him, he was wrong. I think we all are very skiddish about things that might wind him back up at the hospital! What is really funny, though, is that when I told him where I hid the ladder (in the furthest corner of our property, behind a tree), he said "You know what would have been a great hiding place? Under the big tree". This is funny because this is exactly what his daughter had said the night we hid it.

Today, Randy and Cass hung out playing ping pong and various other games. His mom got back in time to take everyone to the chiropractor. They actually left just a little bit before I got there. I had given Dr Petett a copy of my MRI the night before (he also ended up recommending surgery due to the extent of the issues with my disc and the time constraints I have with the insurance). As I got home, Randy and I headed down to the support group.

At the support group, they had a potluck. Randy made sweet and sour meatballs. Everyone loved them. I think we only had two meatballs left by the end. We met some "new" people. They are old timers of the group, but haven't been there the last 3 times. One lady had a brain tumor removed. Her and her two daughters (who are probably around our age, perhaps just a little younger) were there. There was also a young man who had his first TBI when he was 11. He had a second head injury in July of this year. There was another lady there who never did tell her story, but she too has had 2 head injuries. I have heard that is common but have yet to figure out why.

Tonight, on the way home, Randy and I talked about anger. I have had several people comment to me that I must feel angry or saying they would have a hard time not being angry. Randy has dealt with feelings of anger about the situation on a few occassions, but really not often. I have found that I have no time and no energy to devote to that. I really don't allow myself to think about what life was like before the accident or where our life was headed. I dont' think about what we have potentially "lost". I focus on today and try to focus on what is really necessary to help Randy succeed in healing and in continuing to get better. As for Randy's anger, he went through a period where he was angry at the guy who caused the accident and he went through a period of being angry that he was having to deal with all of this, but his anger now is more aimed at the laws that we have. Specifically, he is angry that the man who caused it didn't have insurance and that his punishment was a fine that is less than it would have cost most people to pay for a month or two of insurance.

No comments: