Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy Tuesday

A funny thing happened today ~ while Randy was out and about, his friend Brandon called him. They talked for a bit and said their goodbyes. A little while later, Randy fell asleep right after completing one of the therapy tasks on his list to do today. He was so out of it that he slept through his dad sanding the bathroom floor (our bedroom is right next to the bathroom). When he woke up, the first thing he said was "I need my phone". I asked him why and all he said was that he needed to call Brandon. I didn't push it from that point. Randy located his phone, called Brandon and then apologized, saying that the call must have dropped. Brandon must have been very confused! I heard him say to Randy "Are you alright?". Randy must have been talking to Brandon on the phone in his dream. All I could do was laugh. It took him a little while after waking up to get reoriented.

The rest of the day was uneventful. We got our car back from the shop with some new brakes on it. However, the information display is now not working. Thankfully, that is covered under warranty. I actually use the display quite often ~ when my gas light comes on, it tells me how far I can go before I absolutely have to stop to get gas.

With the therapy stuff, Randy didn't get to all of the things on his list, but he did get to some. We are going to be working on getting him into a set schedule.

We now have a new floor in our main bathroom. It looks very nice. The intention was to have Randy head up this project and do most of the work himself, but it didn't quite work out that way. Randy was disappointed, but his dad did a great job. I think his dad felt that with Randy's eyesight issues that Randy wouldn't be able to handle it. Randy wanted to try, but didn't quite have the ability to convey this to his dad. That is one thing I have noticed since the accident ~ Randy has a harder time talking to anyone other than me about things that he doesn't like, doesn't agree with, or isn't necessarily happy about. I am a little worried that when Randy gets out into the "real"world again, that he might end up being too much of a pushover. Hopefully, though, this will be something that resolves itself as he heals more.

Randy is at that point where he wants to figure out what he can and cannot do. It is hard sometimes, though, to "let go" when we have spent the last 6 months taking care of him and doing so much for him. He is going to come up with a project that either he can do on his own or will require only minimal help from me so he can test out his waters with getting back into doing what he loved to do ~ tinker around the house.

2 comments:

HeatherD said...

Hey, Randy! I hear you want to work on your spelling! That is a very noble thing to pursue. Some years ago Boeing entered teams into some sort of spelling bee that was a fundraiser for Snohomish County school district. (pretty funnh, huh? Everyone thinks engineers can't spell!) Well, by a stroke of luck I made it on one of the teams. I really wanted to study, and found a web site on About.com for spelling. It came in so handy - it was actually instrumental in our team winning the thing! We got a big trophy (that is now somewhere on display in Community Services on some such organization.) It was fun, but mostly it was nead to find out you CAN study spelling strategies, not just rote practice. If you check it out, have fun!!

HeatherD said...

PS - those are typos, NOT spelling errors :)