Sunday, January 14, 2007

Our Weekend

We had a nice relaxing weekend. Well, at least I did. Randy wouldn't let me do anything pretty much all weekend. He stayed busy all weekend doing things that I would start to do before he would stop me and take over. Also, even though I didn't include Saturday and Sunday on the therapy schedule, Randy worked on some of the exercises, both physical and the mental ones. He seems to really enjoy doing a lot of the exercises. With not getting to do anything all weekend, my back and leg feel great.

Cass had a friend stay the night this weekend, so while the two of them were off playing together, Randy and I played the Mario Party game. Playing that game makes him have to work his left hand and really work on his reaction times. There is also a game on there that works on his quick recall ability. He needed a little bit of help with that one.

I talked to Mrs Merrill today (the wife of Randy's first roommate at Harborview). Her husband has made vast improvements since being home and doing in-home rehab. He is getting ready to start outpatient rehab. In talking to Mrs Merril, I try to tell her the things that we have done to help Randy along during this whole process, but what works for one person might not work for another. No head injuries are exactly alike and so no healing processes are exactly alike. Though Al and Randy's injuries were about the same time, they have both had two different paths for healing. I am sure a lot of that has to do with age. Randy wasn't quite 30 and Mr Merrill is in his 60's I think. Different parts of the brain were affected, Randy's was the side and Al's was the frontal lobes. Even if they injuries had been in the same areas, everyone's brains operate a little different. The brain is truly a fascinatig thing. After talking to Mrs Merrill, I felt very fortunate that Randy has come as far as he has in the short amount of time that it has been since the injury. I feel that Randy has been put on the fast track of healing.

No comments: