Thursday, September 07, 2006

Exercise Bike

Before I go into Randy's day today, Randy's Physical Therapist recommended that we get an exercise bike for him. So if anyone knows of someone that has one that they never use and want to get rid of it for a low price, please let us know! It would be preferred to find one that has a back on the seat to make it safer for him.

Randy spent a lot of time today continuing to research TBI on the internet. I had found a site where people can post their stories or the stories of their loved ones. Randy has been reading through those. The site also has a chatroom for TBI survivors and caregivers. He also went through some of our boxes in our spare bedroom and found all of his cameras. He was really into photography a couple of years ago. He took a couple of classes at Greenriver. For those who have visited our home, there is a black and white picture of Cass hanging on our wall that Randy took and developed ~ it is an amazing picture. He has a few old cameras he had come across in antique stores.

Randy also went through all of our movies to see what we had. He says he went through everything because it all feels new to him.

I have a funny story from yesterday that I forgot to tell. Randy's sister and Cass were working on drying some cherries. It was mentioned that it would nice to have a cherry pitter and Randy commented that one could probably be picked up at McLendon's Hardware store during the off season for very cheap. What's funny is that, a few months ago Randy picked one up very cheaply at McLendon's Hardware. It was sitting in our garage. Of course, by the time I got home from work and got to hear Randy's recommendation, they had already done a bunch of cherries without a pitter.

Today, something triggered his memory of a train ride that he, Cass and I took a few months ago. He had to email me to ask me where it was ~ down in Elbe, WA. I think it was the Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad. The trip is suppose to take 1 1/2 hours. I thin ours was about twice that long. The train had problems on the way back. We had to wait on it while they went to get another train to get us all back.

We called Harborview Neurosurgery today. The nurse said she was going to talk to the doctor and see if he needed to be seen sooner than the 20th and then call us back, but no one heard from her. I will call back tomorrow. I am just worried that what happened Tuesday night involved seizures and I would like him to be seen and try to get things figured out before we have to experience it again.

Also, yesterday I had posted about APD and wanting to get Randy tested for it. I found out today that there is more than one meaning of APD (thank you Chiara!). The one the eye doctor was referring to is Auditory Processing Disorder. The one that my friend's son experienced was Afferent Pupillary Defect. I think the best thing would be to get Randy into a Neuro Opthamologist as our friend Cyndi recommended to us. There is so much out there and so much to learn about traumatic brain injury and what can result because of it and what test to figure out what, it can be rather overwhelming sometimes. I keep feeling like I am missing something and I worry that I am not getting him the best medical care that he needs now because I don't have the necessary knowledge to know what he needs. Thank you to all of those who have sent their advice based on their experiences ~ even down to the foods that his body needs right now.

No comments: