Saturday, September 30, 2006

My Adventure

I have learned that everyday with Randy is an adventure!

This morning, Jon came over and was looking at our car to make sure it wasn't something that could be easily fixed. When he got here, Randy wanted to go out to the car with him but couldn't find his cell phone. I told him I would find it for him. As soon as they walk out of the door, I went into our bedroom and begin looking for it. I decided to take the easy route and used my cell phone to call it. Randy answered, laughing. Then he said "Thanks for helping me find it!"

The adventure didn't stop there.

At one point today, I was in the bathroom and I heard Randy walking around and noticed that I wasn't hearing the familiar sound of the "third leg" (a.k.a, the cane). I yelled at Randy "where is your cane". He responded "I am on my way to get it". I turned my head a bit more and saw the cane hanging right next to me. He had been walking around a little while without it and I hadn't even noticed! I yelled back "Randy, get in here". He responded "I am grabbing my cane, just give me a second". I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

Then there was the key incident. I had given Randy the key when he and Jon were looking at the car. When they went to leave for Home Depot, Jon came in and said "We need the key to the car." I laughed and said "I gave it to Randy, check his pockets". I believe the key was actually found in the ignition.

I don't think my life will ever be boring again!

On another note, we received a copy of the statement from Christine Thompson (the trauma nurse that stopped at Randy's accident). In reading through her statement, there is no doubt in my mind that God was there with Randy and brought to there.

According to the statement she gave our attorney, she had completed a nursing trauma class a short time before the accident occurred. She witnessed the truck hit the concrete barrier and hit Randy's car. She stopped and went over the barrier to Randy's car. The doors were locked. This strikes me as odd. Randy didn't have a habit of locking the doors when he drove as far as I know. It reminded me of 10 years ago, though, when we were in a roll over accident in a little Geo Metro. I had a feeling that we were going to be in an accident or that something bad was going to happen to us that night, so I insisted the doors be locked because I wasn't given a clear vision of what exactly was to happen. It ended up that Randy fell asleep at the wheel due to being sick and taking cold medication before driving. The road turned and we didn't. We went off a small little embankment and rolled a couple of times. I ended up with some permanent scarring on my hand and Randy and Cass ended up with some bruises. God was definitely there then too!).

Anyway, because the door was locked, Christine had someone knock out one of the rear windows and unlock the passenger door. She found Randy slumped over on the passenger side. Randy wasn't breathing. She said it was obvious that his airway was obstructed because he was gurgling and rocking in an attempt to breathe. She said that she help up his head and blood discharged. She believed that he was seizing at that time and she opened his eyes and his left eye was "blown" (whatever that means exactly), which told her that he had an injury to his brain. She was in the car for an estimated ten minutes. I owe her Randy's life. If she wasn't there, if she hadn't stopped... Randy wouldn't be here.

As hard as it is to see him struggle through healing with a brain injury, life without him wouldn't be life at all. He is my best friend and my partner through this life.

No comments: